Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

In 2015 someone e-filed a tax return in my name and SS#. We…

Customer Question
In 2015 someone e-filed...

In 2015 someone e-filed a tax return in my name and SS#. We did not know until our accountant tried to e-file our 2016 taxes and they were rejected. I filed the appropriate form on 10/26/2016 with the IRS but have not received a PIN or any correspondence from the IRS. Please advise.

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

FL

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes the tax form for fraud and a report by our CPA

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
1/3/2018
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 4 months ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. If you know you need an IP PIN to file your taxes and you lost your CP01A letter (or never received it), you can: Retrieve your IP PIN online at the IRS's Get an IP PIN site; or. Call the IRS at 1-800-908-4490 to have your IP PIN mailed to you. However, this can take up to 21 days.

Here is a link to obtain your PIN number online. You will need to scroll down to item number 3 and click the button. https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin

If this answered your question then I would appreciate if you would take a moment to rate my response. There should be stars located above the question. This is the only way that I will receive credit for helping you today. If you have additional questions or need clarification I would be happy to continue the conversation.

Thank you for your assistance, it has been extremely informative and helpful. I must wait and re-try to obtain my PIN, as the site is down for maintenance. Warm regards, Julianne

Hi Julianne, good luck with everything. If you would take a moment to rate my response I would appreciate it. There should be stars located above the question. Thank you.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor