Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I want to report someone who is not filing an income tax for…

Customer Question
I want to report someone...
I want to report someone who is not filing an income tax for 7 years. How can I do that?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
1/3/2018
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 month ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Do you have a reason to believe that the person is required to file tax return?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know for a fact that he did not file an income tax for 7 years

Maybe he is or was not require to file? What proof do you have?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is my future ex. Who makes my life a leaving hell..

What type of income does he has? Is he self employed? Is he working under the table?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is a pilot
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He has a rental properties and yes a lot of under the table that he doesn’t report

As a pilot I am pretty sure he is getting W2 and it is reported to the IRS. It is not very likely that the IRS would not already contact him about unfiled tax returns. If he is ignoring the notices, that's a different story.

You can call the IRS but you will need to provide some kind of proof. Can you proof that he is getting a rental income? The IRS will not initiate an investigation based on a phone call.

If you suspect somebody is not claiming his/her income as required you can use form 3949 (information referral). You can find the form here: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3949a.pdf

The more information you provide the better.

If he did not file and you are still married, how did you file your return? Did you file married filing separate?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there away they will entertain me based on my knowledge

If he owes and you knew about it, yes. The IRS can claim that you also "benefited" from the underreported income as well. For instance, if he did not report the income but paid the entire mortgage/rent/property taxes/insurance/utilities for a house or apartment you shared, it will be considered a benefit to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We are been separated for 4 years

If you were legally separated than have you filed your returns as single?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We are not legally separated
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s ok. I am ok

Than your only option is filing jointly or separately. I would strongly encourage you to file a separate return, do not file a joint return if you know that he is hiding income.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what should I do and how to do it. To report wise. Or can you do it

You can file the form 3949 and let the IRS decide what they want to do with the information. The more information you include the higher the chance the IRS will initiate some kind of investigation (if he is not already under investigation).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can send them a copy of a financial affidavit maybe?

You can include it with the 3949 form

emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser