Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I was just wondering about the withholding compliance

Customer Question
I was just wondering...

I was just wondering about the withholding compliance program. I was placed on the withholding compliance program through my employer 1 year ago due to an error, I submitted a new tax exemption form, however my employer never made the changes and I was unknowingly filing exempt for 10 months of 2016. Our paycheck stubs were all electronic so I did not really pay attention to what was being deducted. I have now been having my checks basically garnished since last December which has made living and taking care of a family of 5 extremely difficult. I was wondering if there is anyway to ask the IRS to take me off of the program?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

No that was my only question

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
1/2/2018
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 3 months ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
I'mCustomer I'll look into your question and advise.

IRS takes this issue seriously, and can implement penalties against your employer for this mistake. The good news is your employer could be held liable for the withholding. The bad news is that won't make your employer happy.

I could not find any easy relief for your problem. As I said, IRS would take your employer to task, and leave you alone, but you would have to get your employer to pay. But I do have an option.

I suggest asking the IRS taxpayer advocate to intercede by filing form 911 with them. They would have the authority to work things out at IRS since normal channels are not working for you. This might mean you file your 2017 return quickly and use a refund if you have one or set up installments to pay this year's taxes if needed, but you could get some relief.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback with five stars is best. I'mCustomer

PDtax
PDtax