Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If I used money improperly can I pay the FSA back? I deduced…

Customer Question
If I used money...

If I used money improperly can I pay the FSA back?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I deduced $5K and used all of it but so far only reported $4K to EDD and don't want to report the other $1K since it was to a family member who does not want to show the income.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

SInce it will show $5K on my W2 will the SSA and EDD look for this amount to be covered?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
1/3/2018
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 3 months ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Usually the FSA plans work by submitting receipts to the FSA? How were you able to obtain funds without an offsetting expense?

I submitted a letter stating that the $5K was expended.

The $5,000 will show on your W-2. There will not be any other forms relating to the disbursement of the $5,000.

I would just correct my income to be $1000 higher? Correct or ?

That is correct. I would report it as other income on page 1 of form 1040.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor