Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

IF THE PENSION OF A US GOV. EMPLOYEE WAS EXCLUDED FROM

Customer Question
IF THE PENSION OF...

IF THE PENSION OF A US GOV. EMPLOYEE WAS EXCLUDED FROM TAXES , IS THE DEATH BENEFIT ALSO EXCLUDED FROM TAXES OR IS IT TAXABLE TO THE WIDOW, DEATH BENEFIT CODE WAS 4

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

FLORIDA

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

STATEMENT OF SURVIVOR ANNUITY PAID WAS ISSUED BY OFFICE OF PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

DECEASED WAS A US GOV. EMPLOYEE, PENSION STARTED 10/1/1986

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
1/2/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 month ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

That will generally be taxable. if there are any unused retirement contributions in the late spouse’s account, a portion of the annuity would be tax-free. The contributions are not taxable so if any are still pending a portion would not be taxable to survivor.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4