Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Just a couple of questions or maybe just one i haven't

Customer Question
Just a couple of...

Just a couple of questions or maybe just one i haven't turn'd in my tax's after them being prepare'd i had to pay child support and had a few more years to pay but that child support end'd this dec .. if i turn in the tax's to collect my tax's will it be okay

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

No no that was on my mine now that child support end'd

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
1/2/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 6 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

First of all - you may not deduct child support on your tax return - so you may prepare and file your tax return without any regards ***** ***** child support obligations.

If you have areas in your child support - your tax refund may be garnished to satisfy your child support debt.

That is regardless if your child support ends - your debt still will be active unless fully satisfied.

While tax refunds are protected from many creditors - they still may be garnished for child support.

Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.

Well I guess I did not explain myself very well I never filed my taxes other than going to the tax person having them prepared never sent to get my refund because I already knew about the child support that they would garnish them so I didn't do that so now I have all these tax forms that have been prepared can I send in to collect that money now

You will need to file your tax returns as soon as possible.

You may not hold your tax returns forever...

If you are due a refund - you should file withing three years - after that - you will NOT get any refund even if you are entitled - that is based on the statute of limitation to claim a refund.

.

If you have areas in child support - that debt will NOT go away.

When your child support ends - there are no additional obligations - but all past debt will remain - and ALL your tax refunds will be garnished.

As long as you still have child support debt - you are not protected from garnishment.

But when you will have your tax refunds fully or partially applied to that debt - your areas will be reduced - and that what I think you should do.

I DON'T SORRY TO HAVE BOTHER YOU, JUST CANCEL ME NOW PLEASE THANK YOU VERY MUCH ... I HAVE TAKEN PIC'S OF THIS PAGE AND WILL REFER TO IT AS TO NOTIFY MY BANK OF ANY DISCREPANCIES AGAIN THANKS..
MIKE Q.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.