Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

HOW MANY MONTHS CAN GRANDCHILD LIVE WITH TO BE ABLE TO

Customer Question
HOW MANY MONTHS CAN...

HOW MANY MONTHS CAN GRANDCHILD LIVE WITH TO BE ABLE TO CARRYS DEPENDENT

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

GRAND CHILD LIVED WITH ME FROM JAN 1 TO AUGUST 30

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
1/2/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 6 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Requirements are to have the child at least six months to be a qualifying child for dependency purposes.

See IRS publication 501

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

page 11

Tests To Be a Qualifying Child

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.
2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), (b) under age 24 at the end of the year, a student, and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), or (c) any age if permanently and totally disabled.
3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year.
4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
5. The child must not be filing a joint return for the year (unless that joint return is filed only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid)
.