Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I live in ny but spend 6-8 months working on a cruise ship.

Customer Question
I live in ny...

I live in ny but spend 6-8 months working on a cruise ship. how should I file my tax return? Someone told me there's a special tax return I should file since I work so many months onboard

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

My employer is out of Florida

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
1/1/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 month ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You remain a NY state resident because you have not changed your residency to any other state. You will still file a resident NY return and a full federal return. You were not working outside the US in another country for the full time required to exclude any income either. Your employer's place is not going to change this either.

There would be no special return for you.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4