Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My grandson has been living with me for 2 yrs. He turned 18…

Customer Question
My grandson has been...

My grandson has been living with me for 2 yrs. He turned 18 in November. I will be claiming him as my dependent this year. My question is, he will be living with me in 2018 until July 16th when he goes into the army. Can I claim him in 2018?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

He lives with me in my home. I am unmarried. Can I claim head of household?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
1/1/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 4 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Happy New Year!! Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. In brief, if all the requirements are met, you will still be able to claim him as a dependent in 2018. I will provide you with more info shortly...

Thank you Angela and Happy New Year to you as well!

In general, to be a taxpayer’s qualifying child, a person must satisfy four tests:

š Relationship – the taxpayer’s child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or stepsibling, or a descendant of one of these.

š Residence – has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, in certain cases, for children of divorced or separated parents, kidnapped children, temporary absences, and for children who were born or died during the year.

š Age – must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.

š Support – did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support for the year.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-news/fs-05-07.pdf

---------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant