Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have two parents that are both on social security and have…

Customer Question
I have two parents...

I have two parents that are both on social security and have no other income, but have been raising there great grand daughter for seven years. Can they file taxes and claim her to get back some from taxes for being her sole supporter.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

No not at this time

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
12/31/2017
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 3 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If socials security is their only income, assuming their social security is not in 70K+ range, they do not have any taxable or earned income. Which means they do not get any credits or refunds beyond what was withheld from their social security (assuming nothing if they did not file tax returns in the past).

Here's how the credits work. To qualify for nonrefundable credit (child tax credit, child care credit) you have to have taxable income and tax liability. A nonrefundable credit only reduces or eliminates your tax liability but not beyond 0 and it will not generate additional refund beyond what what already withheld (by employer, social security, pension and such). A refundable credit (additional child tax credit) will generate a refund even if you do not have any tax liability but you need to have earned income (from job or self-employment).

Their best option is to check with social security if the granddaughter qualifies for any social security payments because both of her caretaker-relatives are on social security.

emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser