Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How do i get my tax returns for the last two years, windows…

Customer Question
How do i get...

How do i get my tax returns for the last two years

Accountant's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

Windows 7

Accountant's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

?

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Ineed my tax returns for the last two years

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
12/30/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 month ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Prior year tax returns are available from IRS for a fee.

But most likely - you will be OK with transcripts. Transcripts are free.

Those who need an actual copy of a tax return can get one for the current tax year and as far back as six years. The fee per copy is $50.

.

A transcript summarizes return information and includes Adjusted Gross Income (AGI). They are available for the most current tax year after the IRS has processed the return. People can also get them for the past three years.

Taxpayers can get two types of transcripts from the IRS:

• Tax Return Transcript. A tax return transcript shows most line items including AGIfrom an original tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as filed, along with any forms and schedules. It doesn’t show changes made after the filing of the original return. This transcript is only available for the current tax year and returns processed during the prior three years. A tax return transcript usually meets the needs of lending institutions offering mortgages and student loans.
  • Tax Account Transcript. A tax account transcript shows basic data such as return type, marital status, adjusted gross income, taxable income and all payment types. It also shows changes made after the filing of the original return.

To get a transcript, people can:

• Order online. Use the ‘Get Transcript ’ tool available on IRS.gov. There is a link to it under the red TOOLS bar on the front page. Those who use it must authenticate their identity using the Secure Access process.
  • Order by phone. The number to call is(###) ###-####
  • Order by mail. Complete and send either Form 4506-T or Form 4506T-EZ to the IRS to get one by mail.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor