Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I live in New Mexico and work in Arizona, I'm paying taxes…

Customer Question
I live in New...

I live in New Mexico and work in Arizona, I'm paying taxes in both states how does that work as far as filing my taxes

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I do not live in Arizona but I'm getting both New Mexico and Arizona state taxes taken out of my paychecks

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Should i be saving all my reciepts

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
12/29/2017
Tax Professional: Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 3 months ago
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you out with this.

So, you will need to file tax returns for both states. Arizona is where you will pay the tax for the work done in Arizona. That same amount is also taxed in Arizona. To avoid double taxation, New Mexico allows you to get a tax credit for the tax that you paid in Arizona. That effectively stops double taxation.

Hope that helps. If you need anything else, just let me know. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

In addition, you will file a non-resident tax return for Arizona and a resident tax return for New Mexico.

Hey! Just wanted to follow up and see if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Carter McBride
Carter McBride