Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I'm a tax resident alien on the H1B visa in the US. I

Hi I'm a tax...

Hi I'm a tax resident alien on the H1B visa in the US. I recently married but my spouse is in India right now and she has no US income. How should I report this on my W4 and should I claim any allowance?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I married on 12/3/2017 How soon can the accountant answer my question?

12/29/2017
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

How you fill out your W-4 will depend on if you plan to use the married filing jointly or married filing separate filing status when you file your tax return.

If you file jointly with your wife, she will have to declare her worldwide income on your U.S. tax return. You mentioned that your wife has no income so this will not be an issue.

If you file separately, only your income will be reported.

My best suggestion would be to complete the W-4 as married and claim 0 or 1.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your swift response, Barbara. My spouse has income in India but she doesn't have any US income. Would this change anything related to allowances?

My pleasure.

As to your W-4, no. I would claim Married and either 0 or 1.

You can then decide when filing your tax return if you will be filing married jointly or married separately.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent