Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I filed an extension and have paid my taxes and am due a…

Customer Question
I filed an extension...

I filed an extension and have paid my taxes and am due a refund. Id I do not file by Dec 31 is there a penalty? I was told that if the IRS owes yoy a refund there is no penalty for late filing.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
12/29/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 7 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

As long as you paid by April 15th then you will not have a penalty for filing late. The penalty is assessed based on the tax that is due so if you have no tax due there is no penalty.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited. Thanks