Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I file a joint return with my husband. I have a rollover IRA…

I file a joint return...
I file a joint return with my husband. I have a rollover IRA and want to do a contribution for 2017 to be able to use it as a tax deduction. 2 questions:
What is the cap on individual contributions that are deductable?
Do I need to contribute the money before January 1st, 2018 or do I have until April 15th to do it and still count for 2017?
12/29/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

First the easy part. you have until April 15th to make a contribution for tax year 2017

...

The CONTRIBUTION amount is 5500 (6500) for someone over age

...

How much of that is deductible depends on whether you have qualified plan coverage through the workplace (if non, it's all deductible)

...

For joint filers, (covered under a workplace plan) if income is under 99,000 the entire contribution is deductible.

...

For joint filers (with workplace coverage) if income is 119000 or more, there's no deduction.

...

Between 99,000 and 119000 the deduction is pro-rated. As an example, at 109000 1/2 of your contribution would be deductible.

...

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/2017-ira-deduction-limits-effect-of-modified-agi-on-deduction-if-you-are-covered-by-a-retirement-plan-at-work

...

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/ira-deduction-limits

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
$6500 for over what age?
Sorry, over 50
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS