Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Am I able to take a deduction as head of household if I have…

Am I able to...

Am I able to take a deduction as head of household if I have a daughter that is 15, lives with me for more than half the year, but I am not claiming her as a dependent because her dad and I alternate the dependency and this year he is claiming her?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I pay for more than half of her expenses as he only pays $220 a month for child support.

12/29/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

As the custodial parent you can still claim Head of Household even if you sign the form 8332 for the other parent to claim exemption.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. This answers my question.

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4