Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Am I able to take a deduction as head of household if I have…

Am I able to...

Am I able to take a deduction as head of household if I have a daughter that is 15, lives with me for more than half the year, but I am not claiming her as a dependent because her dad and I alternate the dependency and this year he is claiming her?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I pay for more than half of her expenses as he only pays $220 a month for child support.

12/29/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

As the custodial parent you can still claim Head of Household even if you sign the form 8332 for the other parent to claim exemption.

Thank you. This answers my question.

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4