Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Attn: Lev (if available) - As I mentioned, I am a Catholic…

Customer Question
Attn: Lev (if available) -...
Attn: Lev (if available) - As I mentioned, I am a Catholic Deacon who doesn't get paid a salary even though I am ordained. I travel to the church each Wednesday to conduct a service on our pastor's off day. Can I deduct this mileage on my taxes?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
12/29/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 3 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Yes - if you provide service for the church without compensation - that is charitable service.

While you may not deduct the value of your time - you still may deduct as charitable contribution the cost you had when provided such services.

That includes car expenses,

which may be deducted per your choice - either as actual car expenses OR you may use standard mileage rate.

Such deduction is reported on schedule A as charitable contribution.

Okay. It cost me $38 more dollars to ask this one question I wish I had asked an hour ago. Lol! Don't suppose I would get a waiver on this would I?

You may come back to the previous page and post as a followup question.

I might not be immediately available

But in any case - I personally will followup to all your concerns.

For payment options - please be aware that experts do not have access to your account.

That is to protect your privacy.

But if you have ANY issues with payments - please communicate with the customer service directly - and I am sure all will be resolved in your favor.

I want you to be satisfied with the service and not feel as you are overcharged.

Thanks, ***** ***** I have you here, I am trying to think of more questions. When I go to Sunday mass service, the pastor is presiding. I am there to assist. Would this still be considered a charitable service, even though I am not the presider and am only assisting at the service. I perform liturgical functions as a deacon at these services, I'm just not the principal minister. (The mass could take place without me). Of course, many people request my time as a (unpaid) deacon after service. Is this still a charitable situation? I'm sorry if I am asking the same question over and over.
Lev, I have one more question. As I mentioned, I am a Catholic Deacon who doesn't get paid a salary even though I am ordained. I go to the church each Wednesday to conduct a service on our pastor's off day. Can I deduct this mileage on my taxes?

As long as you are NOT compensated for your services - that is your contribution.

As long as services are provided to the charitable organization - that is charitable contribution.

While you may not deduct the value of your time - still out-of-pocket expenses related to providing services including transportation expenses - may be deducted as charitable contribution.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor