Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If you give a gift to an adult child that is less than 14K,

Customer Question
If you give a...

If you give a gift to an adult child that is less than 14K, is the amount that you give to them recognized on your tax returns anywhere?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I would like to give 8500 to my daughter for a closing on her home. Do I need to put this on my tax return anywhere? It is less than the 14K dollar limit

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
12/28/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 3 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Happy Holidays!! Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. In brief, the answer is no. Even if you were to gift the person more than $14,000, the receiver would not have to report it on their tax return. Gifting the child more than $14,000 would have subjected you, the donor to completing a Form 709 (Gift Tax return).

For more information regarding gift taxes, you can refer to IRS Pub 950.

Link to IRS Pub 950:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p950.pdf

--------------------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant