Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Who can deduct 529 contributions. Can grandparents deduct…

Customer Question
Who can deduct 529...

Who can deduct 529 contributions

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Can grandparents deduct 529 contributions

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
12/28/2017
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional replied 6 months ago
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Welcome to JustAnswer!

My name is***** will assist you today.

529 contributions deduction varies from state to state. The person who contributes the money is the person who is able to use the deduction. This does include grandparents if the grandparent contributes to the 529 plan.

If you have any additional questions at all please let me know! My goal is to ensure you receive 100% satisfaction.

At the conclusion of our conversation please take a moment to rate and accept my answer by clicking on three stars or more.

A positive rating of 5 stars or more is always appreciated.

Thank you!

If you have no further questions please take a moment to accept the answer by clicking on three stars or more, this notifies JustAnswer that your question has been answered.

Thank you!

Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 6 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's***** have a different answer.

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, anMBA in finance, aBBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986

...

grandparents can claim the deduction for contributing to a 529 if they live in one of the 34 states that offer a state income tax deduction for 529 college-savings plan contributions. The only question is whether you must own the account or whether you can contribute to one set up by, say, the child's parents.

...

About two-thirds of the states that offer a state income tax deduction for 529 college-savings plan contributions let anyone who is a resident of that state take a deduction, even if you don't own the account -- whether you're a parent, relative or friend. The remaining states let you deduct contributions only if you're the account owner.

...

Here's the complete list of all states' plans and who can deduct.

...

http://www.savingforcollege.com/compare_529_plans/?plan_question_ids[]=437&page=compare_plan_questions