Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Friend did not receive dissolution from state operated a…

Customer Question
Friend did not receive...
Friend did not receive dissolution from state operated a dissolved corp. S Corp . Accountant said to file taxes as a sole proprietor.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
12/28/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 7 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

If all returns were filed for 2016 and noted as final then for 2017 he should file as Sole Prop using Schedule C if he continued to operate in 2017.

He filed a final return in 2015. But dissolution not received until he checked w state in 2017. He thought he had to wait for state papers so he continued with business

If he filed the final return in 2015 then he really should have waited to file the final for half the year in 2016 and then the remaining year for 2016 as sole prop. For NJ, a final Corporation Business Tax return (Form CBT-100/CBT-100S) must be filed within 30 days of the date of dissolution or withdrawal. The return will cover the period from the beginning of the current accounting period to the legal date of dissolution or withdrawal.

The accountant is correct to file as sole prop but not until the final date.

A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for answering.