Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have a tax question on the father of my son planning to…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a tax question on the father of my son planning to claim him?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Okay, he's planning on claiming him this year. He pays child support to his ex and I'm concerned that any part of the return will go to her?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I claimed last year, my son's father got laid off and so I'm not sure if he's still paying child support or its going back to back pay and he may not get a return because of that. She's gotten his return before due to it being in back pay. If that makes sense?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
12/28/2017
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to JustAnswer!

My name is***** will assist you today.

I'm having difficulty understanding your specific question.

To claim the child as a dependent you must generally provide over 50% of the child support for the year.

In most cases, children for whom you provide support and a home qualify as dependent exemptions.

___

Not all dependents will fall into the exact description above, so the IRS has designed five tests to determine whether a child or dependent can be considered an exemption.

These five requirements are:

* citizenship

* support

* gross income

* joint return

* relationship

Please let me know who provides the majority of the support and who provides a home for the child and I will be able to assist you further

If back pay for child support is owed the tax return could potentially be used to cover the owed support.

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, Enrolled Agent