Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a friend that is firightened about her taxes...she…

Customer Question
I have a friend...

I have a friend that is firightened about her taxes...she and her husband only make $25,000 a year...husband is a self employed handyman...and wife does not work.....my question is this; are these folks even required by law to file a tax return every year being that they make so little?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
12/27/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 7 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Yes, they are required to file. If you make even $400 in the year by self employment you must file and report that income but you are allowed to deduct your expenses.

He does need to pay Self Employment tax on the income (after expenses) that is more than $400. That amount goes toward SS and Medicare.

He needs to complete a Schedule C to report the income and deduct the expenses.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.