Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have exchanged cryptocurrencies, but I have not cashed in…

Customer Question
I have exchanged cryptocurrencies...

I have exchanged cryptocurrencies, but I have not cashed in any currencies. Do I owe tax money on the exchanges?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Hello?

Accountant's Assistant: Hi. How can I help?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I bought Bitcoin and Ethereum with USD, but exchanged some of those currencies for some others

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
12/26/2017
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to JustAnswer!

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

Q: I have exchanged cryptocurrencies, but I have not cashed in any currencies. Do I owe tax money on the exchanges?

A: Exchanging CC is considered a taxable event even though you didn't receive USD.

You will report these exchanges, date, amount (in USD) and gain or loss on Schedule D of your 1040

Here is a link to IRS Notice 2014-21 which covers virtual currency

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-14-21.pdf

Q-1: How is virtual currency treated for federal tax purposes?

A-1: For federal tax purposes, virtual currency is treated as property. General tax principles applicable to property transactions apply to transactions using virtual currency.

If you have any additional questions at all please let me know! My goal is to ensure you receive 100% satisfaction.

At the conclusion of our conversation please take a moment to rate and accept my answer by clicking on three stars or more.

A positive rating of 5 stars or more is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I lump all transactions into one form or must I complete a seperate form for each exchange?

Each separate transaction must be documented in order to determine the proper gain or loss from each specific exchange

There has been a lot of trading in CC's and this question comes up often. Unfortunately, you have to report each separate transaction

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks

When you have no further questions please take a moment to accept the answer by clicking on three stars or more.

Thank you!

Have a great day

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, Enrolled Agent