Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Is there a form to file with the IRS for tax periods that…

Customer Question
Is there a form...

Is there a form to file with the IRS for tax periods that have ran past the statute of limitations from the date of assessment

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have 3 tax years starting in 2003, 2004. 2005. 2006 that have been assessed and it is past the 10 year mark for collections. Is there a form that I must file with the IRS in order to get these years looked at and possibly taken off and would form 9355 do that for me.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I don;t believe so at this time. Thank you

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
12/25/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 3 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

There is NO statute of limitation for filing tax returns.

The statute of limitation only limits your ability to claim a refund.

you do not need to file any special form - just prepare your missing tax returns and file them.

The form 9355 is used internally by the IRS.

Taxpayers do not file this form.

All you need to do - prepare and file all missing tax returns.

The tax forms had been filed and I was wondering if the statute of limitations of 10 years applies to the tax years I stated before to see if the IRS would remove them for collection as the 10 years has passed. The date of assessment on these taxes goes past the 10 year statute to receive these funds and I was wondering since these were already filed and have been assessed several years ago that what is the process for me to get these tax years removed because they have ran past the 10 year statute that the IRS has to receive the funds.

You are correct - the statute of limitation on collection starts to run from the date of assessment and run out in ten years.

After that date - the IRS may NOT initiate any new collection activity.

There is no need to file any special form - and the IRS will automatically write off uncollected amounts - that will be reflected in your IMF - Individual Master File.

You may contact the IRS and verify.

If you have any tax lien related to that assessment - you may verify if it is released.

When for any reason it is not released - use this form

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f12277.pdf

But in general - there is nothing specifically you need to do.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor