Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I work in Florida and have an apartment there. I spend every…

Customer Question
I work in Florida...

I work in Florida and have an apartment there. I spend every week (M-F) either in Florida or abroad. I've been doing this now for 2.5 years. Before, I lived and worked in Ohio. My family still lives in Ohio. Do I need to pay Ohio state taxes?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

That's it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
12/23/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 1 month ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Happy Holidays!! Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response. I will get back to you shortly.

Based on the following information, as you have established residency in Florida, unless you have OH sourced income, you do not have to pay tax in OH. SEE BELOW:

---------------------------------------------

Ohio imposes income tax on all income of resident individuals but only imposes tax on the income of nonresident individuals that is earned or received in Ohio. While residents receive a credit under R.C. 5747.05(B) for income subjected to tax in another state, the credit cannot exceed the tax paid to the other state on that income. In contrast, nonresidents receive a credit under R.C. 5747.05(A) to eliminate tax on income not earned or received in Ohio. So, for example, if the income is from a state that imposes no tax, a resident will get no credit but a nonresident will. However, if the income is from Ohio, both the resident and the nonresident will be subject to Ohio tax.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.tax.ohio.gov/ohio_individual/individual/information_releases/it200708.aspx

You may want to refer to the reference source document link for additional information.

--------------------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant