Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Is there a limit to the amount of property taxes I can claim…

Is there a limit to...
Is there a limit to the amount of property taxes I can claim for 2017 for my primary residence as a deduction for 2017.
12/23/2017
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Happy Holidays!! Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. While the SALT (State and local tax) deductions are affected by the new tax reform, the tax reform will no go into effect until 2018. You can pay your 2017 property taxes as you normally would. Still writing...

just for 2017 I wanted to know if there is a limit on the property taxes.

No, not for TY 2017. However, there will be for 2018. SEE BELOW:

------------------------------------------

As widely expected, congressional negotiators limited the state and local taxes paid deduction in the final conference report issued on Friday. The limitation was modified from the original House and Senate plans. Starting in 2018, individuals would see their state and local taxes paid deduction capped at $10,000 for income, sales, and property taxes.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://taxfoundation.org/prepaying-state-and-local-tax-deduction-conference-report/

--------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant