Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

The 2013 tax return was filed in year 2015 and later

realized that the amount of...
The 2013 tax return was filed in year 2015 and later realized that the amount of taxes paid were more than the actual taxes due. therefore we are planning to amend the return. Will IRS send us refund even we are filing 2013 return in 2017?
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/22/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

There is a statute of limitations on refunds being claimed on amended returns. In general, if a refund is expected on an amended return, taxpayers must file the return within three years of the due date of the original return, or within two years after the date they paid the tax, whichever is later.

If you paid the tax in 2015 when you filed then you have 2 years from the date the taxes were paid in 2015.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

well the taxes paid in full in year 2015

What date in 2015? That is the actual date the IRS will look at for seeing if tax law covers the refund.

The taxes that were paid for the 2013 return is all they will look for and they will check the date. They are very careful about that. They will not issue a refund if you go past the 2 year date.

Did that clarify? If not let me know please. If I have explained enough then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

I know a refund from the IRS is serious so I want to make sure you know your rights in requesting one.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4