Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Would a person starting as a yoga teacher need to pay sales…

Customer Question
Would a person starting...

Would a person starting as a yoga teacher need to pay sales or use tax in the state of Texas?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

New yoga teacher just starting a business. As she charges students for lessons will she need to pay sales tax in the state of Texas. She does not have a permanent site. She will give lessons in various locations.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
12/22/2017
Tax Professional: Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 month ago
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and would be glad to help you out.

A yoga studio is considered to be an amusement service, which is a taxable service as defined in the Texas Tax Code section(###) ###-#### You can find more information on taxable services here: https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/publications/96-259.pdf.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She will not have a yoga studio. She is a yoga instructor who freelances.

Then it will not be. See Comptroller Rule 3.298: "2) Nonamusement services--Activities that are primarily instructional in nature, or nontaxable personal services. Places, services, and clubs that the tax on amusement services does not cover include, but are not limited to:

(B) instructions for any sport or musical discipline; "

Yoga would then fall under instructions for any sport and be exempt.

Carter McBride
Carter McBride