Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have not file my 2016 taxes because my old job may have…

Customer Question
Pearl I have not...

Pearl I have not file my 2016 taxes because my old job may have screw me over

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

And I have social security disability income but the question is how can I file it without get into trouble with irs

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Ya I think my old boss lied to me

Accountant's Assistant: What else should I tell the Accountant?

And to add my math of the months I been working and see if my ssdi funds are add up correctly

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/22/2017
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 month ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

At this time your only option is to file on paper. E-filing is not available anymore.

Are you even required to file? What is your 2016 income and how much of SSDI did you receive?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My main total for ssdi for the year was 14,124.00 but for a month is 1,177.00. but I had to not go over my limit of work amount. And that would be 1,040.00

So you earned $1,040 for the entire year? Going over the SSDI limit has nothing to do with your filing requirements.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

No umm is there a way you can call me at me this number ??? ***********

Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 month ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Please be aware that expects may not contact customers directly - that is done specifically to protect your privacy.

You may separately request a phone call if needed.

In this case - the tax expert will call you.

Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 month ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. my name's Lane I can help.

...

Please request the call and I can help.

...

I WILL concur, however, that based on the numbers you may not have a need to file taxes at all.

...

For social Security to be taxable, your total PROVISIONAL income (SSA sometimes refers to this as "Combined Income," - a very misleading ter - needs to be above certain levels.

...

No one pays federal income tax on more than 85 percent of his or her Social Security benefits based on Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules. If you:

• file a federal tax return as an "individual" and your combined income* is
    • between $25,000 and $34,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits.
    • more than $34,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable.

• file a joint return, and you and your spouse have a combined income* that is
    • between $32,000 and $44,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits
    • more than $44,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable.

• are married and file a separate tax return, you probably will pay taxes on your benefits.

*Note:

Your adjusted gross income
+ Nontaxable interest
+ ½ of your Social Security benefits
= Your "combined income

SO, as you can see if 1/2 of your social security income plus other income isn't above 25000 (32000 for joint filers) then it's very possible that you don't HAVE to file ... the TAXABLE income might not be above the filing threshold

of one standard deduction and one personal exemption.

...

Now, whether you may have worked and earned enough to put the social security in jeopardy is a completely different issue (although filing taxes is one way that Social Security can pick up the income)

...

If your employer gave you W-2 or 1099 then that's the other way Social Security can puck up the income (even when you didn't make enough to need to file)

...

So, as you can see there are a couple of different issues here.

...

Then there's the THIRD possibility; That you might have disaility specific costs that could RAISE how much you could earn.

...

I'll offer the call now so that we can talk.

Well, the system is allowing me to click the "Offer Premium Service" button but them I'm getting the message "Additional service offer is not allowed. Please lock the question to offer an additional service." (even though i DO have the question locked)

OK well as you likely know who I am, feel free to call me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

what is the number to call ?? and if you can call this number 720-xxx-xxxx

Enjoyed it. I'll be watching for the email. ...would appreciate a rating, using the stars on your screen so we can close this out... but again, I'll be watching for the email.

...

Update - never received he email. Feel Free to call, now that you have my number, in the event the transcriber got the email wrong.

...

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS