Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My wife and I are retired on Social security and Pay Oregon…

Customer Question
My wife and I...

My wife and I are retired on Social security and Pay Oregon Property tax on our home. Our only income is social Security and we have not been filing fed tax returns . Should we ? Can we claim Property taxes as Tax paid like with holding tax and get a refund with no taxable income

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Having no other income I believed there was no benefit to filing and IRS never question us either because we had no income reported I guess .

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
12/21/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 8 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Happy Holidays!! Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. In brief, the answer is no, claiming property taxes will not generate a refund for you. I will provide you with more information on property taxes shortly.

Property taxes reduces tax on ordinary income. As you have no ordinary income to claim, filing a return just to report the property taxes will not produce a refund for you.

--------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.