Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My wife and I are retired on Social security and Pay Oregon…

Customer Question
My wife and I...

My wife and I are retired on Social security and Pay Oregon Property tax on our home. Our only income is social Security and we have not been filing fed tax returns . Should we ? Can we claim Property taxes as Tax paid like with holding tax and get a refund with no taxable income

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Having no other income I believed there was no benefit to filing and IRS never question us either because we had no income reported I guess .

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
12/21/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 2 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Happy Holidays!! Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. In brief, the answer is no, claiming property taxes will not generate a refund for you. I will provide you with more information on property taxes shortly.

Property taxes reduces tax on ordinary income. As you have no ordinary income to claim, filing a return just to report the property taxes will not produce a refund for you.

--------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant