Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have received a loan modification for my mortgage and was…

Customer Question
I have received a...

I have received a loan modification for my mortgage and was told that there might be income tax consequences related to the modification and I would be responsible for any income tax due as a result of the modification. I tried to find out more information from my mortgage company but was told to contact a tax advisor. How can I find out how much taxes if any I will need to pay. My husband and I are both retired and only receive social security and his pension for our income. Any information you have will be appreciated. I want to be prepared so I don't have any surprises come tax time. Thank you.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

So I do need to see an accountant

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
12/21/2017
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional replied 7 months ago
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Welcome to JustAnswer!

My name is***** will assist you today.

In General, any loan modification that includes a forgiveness of debt may be a taxable event.

If the loan modification doesn't include a forgiveness of debt then the next taxable item to consider is the amount of interest that you may currently deduct, if any.

The above two items will generally be the most common tax issues when modifying a loan.

If you have any additional questions or would like for me to expand on the answer above please let me know! My goal is to ensure you receive 100% satisfaction.

At the conclusion of our conversation please take a moment to rate and accept my answer by clicking on three stars or more.

A positive rating of 5 stars or more is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Tax Professional: Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional replied 6 months ago

Are you satisfied with the Answer you received?

If you are satisfied with the Answer, please accept the Answer and rate my service. Accepting the Answer and Rating my service cost you nothing extra, but does notify JustAnswer that I have completed my assigned work.

If you have any follow up questions please don't hesitate to Ask.

You can rate me by using the stars, or faces on your screen and clicking submit

I look forward to working with you in the future and I hope you feel that I provided you with 5 Star services

Regards,

Chad CFP ® professional