Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Are the accumulated dividends on a life insurance policy…

Are the accumulated dividends on...
Are the accumulated dividends on a life insurance policy usually apart of the gross value listed on schedule D of form 706 or should it be reported somewhere else?
12/21/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

This one has been debated over the years. ... Accumulated dividends NOT used to by paid up additions (additional paid up death benefit - referred to as PUA's - are not seen by m ost courts as "proceeds"

...

The Internal Revenue Code defines life insurance proceeds as:

• Death benefits paid under regular life insurance contracts

• Death benefits paid under an endowment policy where death occurs prior to maturity of the contract

• Death proceeds of group life

• Proceeds of National Service or U.S. Government Life Insurance

• Paid-up additions and term additions purchased with dividends paid on a policy • Proceeds payable under a double indemnity provision

• Proceeds paid under an accident policy or accident and health policy

...

As you've described this, simply accumulated dividends (essentially a return of premium on a whole life policy) are not proceeds, and not includable

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Thanks for the very thorough answer, I will be requesting you for additional questions as they come up.

You're very welcome ... And thanks for that

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Lane forgot to include earlier. The distribution included a termination dividend. I assume this would be excludable as well since as you said its a return of premium?

Yep. That dividend is also a return of premium.