Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I got the letter from SSA telling me in 2018 benefits will…

Customer Question
I got the letter...

I got the letter from SSA telling me in 2018 benefits will increase by 2%. However, my benefits did not increase at all. The amount is the same as it has been.

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Maine

Accountant's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I've been trying to reach the Augusta office. That has not been easy until now.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
12/21/2017
Tax Professional: Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 months ago
Fred Rook
Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Just Answer is not associated with Social Security so we do not have access to your personal information.

The only way to find out why your benefits did not increase is to contact Social Security. I know this can be frustrating (ex - long wait times), but there is really no other way. I would say the first thing you should do is call (ex - 1-***-***-****), but you already did that I see.

You can often bypass the Social Security office by using your online "My Social Security" account. If you do not yet have an online account, you can register here: https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/. The only other option is to visit your local Social Security office. This is the most inconvenient option, but may be the most effective, because you can ask to speak to a new agent if you feel you are not being helped.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Fred

Fred Rook
Fred Rook