Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My twins turned 19 in 2017. They were in high school Jan.

Customer Question
My twins turned 19...

My twins turned 19 in 2017. They were in high school Jan. thru May. Can I file for earned income tax credit?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

EIC qualification for 19 year olds in high school.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
12/21/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 7 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

To count as a qualifying child for EIC, your child must have a valid Social Security number (not an ITIN).

He/she must also:

• Be your child (including legally adopted), stepchild, eligible foster child, sibling, half-sibling, step-sibling, or a descendant of any of them (for example, your grandchild or niece); and
  • Be permanently and totally disabled OR under the age of 19 as of December 31, 2017 (under 24 if a full-time student) and younger than you (or your spouse, if filing jointly); and
  • Have lived with you (or your spouse, if filing jointly) for more than half the year; and
  • Not file jointly with their spouse unless they weren't required to file but did so anyway to claim a tax refund.

To be considered a full-time student, the child must be a student for at least five months during the tax year. January through May is five months.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb