Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have a very complicated tax situation. I have food trucks…

Customer Question
I have a very complicated...
I have a very complicated tax situation.I have food trucks based in Wyoming that travel to Colorado, Utah, and Nebraska.I have employees that travel to all 3 states from Wyoming. They area all employed by a Wyoming LLC that opponents as a registered foreign entity in the 3 other states.The trucks sometimes drive into the other states and return to Wyoming that night, sometimes employees say in Hotels.Do I have responsibility to track hours worked in each state individually and do I have to file income tax, workers compensation, and unemployment insurance for my Wyoming based employees in each other state?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
12/21/2017
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, Enrolled Agent replied 2 months ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to JustAnswer!

My name is***** will assist you today.

Q: Do I have responsibility to track hours worked in each state individually and do I have to file income tax, workers compensation, and unemployment insurance for my Wyoming based employees in each other state?

A: Yes, you do have the responsibility to track income and expenses you have in each state you do business.

The criteria is essentially, where you operate when you earn the income.

Wyoming does not appear to have a tax reciprocity agreement with any other state

For states with no reciprocity agreements, the employee's withholding is based on both the state of residence as well as the state of employment.

You might need to set up withholding for just the work-location state, just the state of residence, or you might need to set up withholding for both states. - Each state has different regulations

States that have no withholding taxes

If your employee lives in one of these states, enter W-4 information for the work-location state only:

Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming

___

Some of these issues can easily be addressed by correctly establishing a payroll through a service such as quickbooks.

Here is a link to quick books which covers the topic of payroll tax for the majority of the states.

https://community.intuit.com/articles/1438773-employees-who-work-in-another-state

Please let me know if you have additional questions. At the end of our conversation please take a moment to accept the answer by clicking on three stars or more.

Thank you

Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago

Are you satisfied with the Answer you received?

If you are satisfied with the Answer, please accept the Answer and rate my service. Accepting the Answer and Rating my service cost you nothing extra, but does notify JustAnswer that I have completed my assigned work.

If you have any follow up questions please don't hesitate to Ask.

You can rate me by using the stars, or faces on your screen and clicking submit

I look forward to working with you in the future and I hope you feel that I provided you with 5 Star services

Regards,

Chad CFP ® professional

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, Enrolled Agent