Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If the irs wants to suspend my efin due to due dillegence…

Customer Question
If the irs wants to...
If the irs wants to suspend my efin due to due dillegence issues which are not done on purpose, my office is 25 years old and very few cases lack scanning documents for proof for certain credits. If irs suspends me can my son start a new business at my location under his name since he’s going to inherit it anyways? Will the irs make this an issue due to him being my son and they suspend me? This is for INCASE since we got an audit today. I think it shouldn’t be a problem due to my son being a complete different person and his own social, efin and ptin and which in fact will be his business after I retire.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
12/20/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 2 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Your EFIN suspension will have no effect on your son if he has his own social, EFIN, and PTIN.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

They also told me they will contact me to tell me what’s going to happen but I am worried that what if they tell me too late and it’s start of the tax season what am I suppose to do? I don’t know yet if they will penalize me either it was two agents one was irs and other irs fraud agent which he was there just to warn me and give me education and he even said he found nothing criminal like for us and that we should have no issue but he other person was very strict and said they would get back to me. That’s why I want to open a business under my sons name Incase so we can jump right to him before the season starts. Which in the end the income for the business will still be paid to irs no matter what.
Won’t irs ask questions if they see my son open in the same location as me and can I still work there without issues? If we changed the LLC and the business name to somthing a little similar to the LLC I have now, will that also be an issue?

There is nothing you can do if they suspend your EFIN.

Your son is not you, and he has his own credentials. Being at the same location should not be a problem for him.

You will have to wait for the IRS' decision to find out what your limitations will be.

I would make arrangements for your son to operate with his own credentials in anticipation of the upcoming tax season.

That’s what I assumed even if he’s my son he’s not me so IRS can’t deny him or anything he wants to do regarding Tax prep business. With his own efin ptin and social and business name shouldn’t matter if it’s similar to mine does it ?

That's correct.

Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent