Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I work for a shell gas station the owner told me he would…

Customer Question
I work for a...

I work for a shell gas station the owner told me he would only pay me under the table I work 80 hours a week for a little 500 a week now he says next year I have to pay taxes and everything else

Accountant's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

What are my rights and what can I do to him

Accountant's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This owner does not give time off no phreaks of any kind

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
12/20/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

It sounds like he is treating you as an Independent Contractor (self employed). If that is true and he has not been withholding tax then you can ask the IRS to determine that you are an employee.

As self employed you would need to pay the full amount of Social Security and Medicare without having an employer share that burden.

Workers who believe an employer improperly classified them as independent contractors can use Form 8919 to figure and report the employee’s share of uncollected Social Security and Medicare taxes due on their compensation.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4