Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Our 34-year-old grandson lives with us because he needs a…

Customer Question
Our 34-year-old grandson lives...

Our 34-year-old grandson lives with us because he needs a liver transplant. Can we claim him as a dependent?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Our 34-year-old grandson us on disability for liver transplant, can we claim him as a dependent?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

If he did pay us for rent would we have to claim that income on our taxes?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
12/20/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

As long as your grandson is disabled - there are certain tests to qualify him as a dependent.

Tests To Be a Qualifying Child

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.
2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), (b) under age 24 at the end of the year, a student, and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), or (c) any age if permanently and totally disabled.
3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year.
4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
5. The child must not be filing a joint return for the year (unless that joint return is filed only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid)

So far - as long as ALL these tests are satisfied - your grandson is your Qualifying Child for tax dependency purposes and may be claimed on your tax return.

Let me know if you need any help with determination.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor