Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I live in New Jersey and my accountant advised me to prepay…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hi, I...

Second opinion] Hi, I live in New Jersey and my accountant advised me to prepay half of my annual property taxes. Does it make sense to use my HELOC which has a variable interest rate to prepay my property taxes?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What else would you like to know?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Such as?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/20/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 month ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If you itemize - that will make difference to prepay some of your real estate and personal property taxes and deduct that amount on your 2017 tax return.

If however - you are using standard deduction - the prepayment will not make any difference as you will deduct the standard amount anyway.

If you have the money just sitting in your bank account - you may use these funds to prepay your property taxes - and will reduce your tax pressure later.

But if you have to borrow teh money from HELOC and will pay additional interest on that amount - I do not see any reason to prepay.

In NJ - Property tax payments are due annually in four installments, February 1, May 1, August 1 and November 1.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor