Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have an IRS tax lock on my withholdings and I have tried…

Customer Question
I have an IRS...

I have an IRS tax lock on my withholdings and I have tried for several days to talk to someone and the phone automated service keeps hanging up on me. The one time I spoke to a gentleman he gave me a phone number to call and it was Charter TV. I was on hold for 50 minutes. How do I get this removed. I paid my balance off long ago and am clear.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/20/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 month ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You should have received a 2801C Letter from the IRS. The letter explains the lock in of your withholding amount and also gives a number that they want you to call if you have a question or want to dispute the lock in.

Witholdings are locked into a specific rate when the taxpayer has owed in the past and claimed more allowances than they were really allowed.

You are given a period of time before the lock-in rate is put in effect to submit for approval to the IRS a new Form W-4 and a statement supporting the claims made on the Form W-4 that would decrease your federal income tax withholding. You should send the Form W-4 and statement directly to the address on the lock-in letter. Once a lock-in letter is issued, you will not be allowed to decrease your withholding unless approved by the IRS.

As long as you you timely meet all your filing and payment obligations for three consecutive years, you can request that the IRS release you from the Withholding Compliance Program.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4