Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can the taxes for a large increase in income be spread over…

Customer Question
Can the taxes for...

Can the taxes for a large increase in income be spread over several years?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

What else does he want to know?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
12/20/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 7 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Income averaging for all taxpayers was a way to effectively lower the tax rate on this year’s income by spreading it over a number of prior (lower-income) years to find an average tax rate for it.

The general 4-year income averaging rule expired in 1986. Currently, income averaging can only be used by farmers and fishermen for their business income.

Please let me know if you need more information. I really want to know that you understand.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.