Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How does the IRS contact you regarding back taxes .. by

Customer Question
How does the IRS...

How does the IRS contact you regarding back taxes .. by certified mail or telephone

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I was contacted by an IRS employee, Badge # CK3745 and Case ID###-##-####who said that I had been audited and owe taxes in the amount of $6,300.11 for returns from 2011 to 2016. I had two choices basically that I could refuse to pay this amount or a warrant had been issued against me and if I did not want to pay, they will come to my house and arrest me and take me to jail. I told him I had never been contacted by the I

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

IRS just a minute... and they in my case because it was a criminal I would not be getting anything in the mail. There is much more to tell but I would like to know if you can check a case # ***** gave me which is Case ID ####-##-#### My taxes are filed under Sara J. Johnson. I also was directed on how to pay some of my debt which I need to discuss with someone. my phone number is(###) ###-#### Thank you for your help in this, I am really nervous about seeing if they are really with the agency. You should know I did send them $700.00 via bitcoin yesterday because I did not want to be arrested. I am 75 years old and still work. I should tell you my taxes for 2016 have not been filed, my extension was out in October of this year. All my returns from 2011 to 2015 have been filed on time and paid. I appreciate your assistance.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/20/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

The IRS has seen a surge of these phone scams as scam artists threaten police arrest, deportation, license revocation and other things.

Scammers make unsolicited calls claiming to be IRS officials. They demand that the victim pay a bogus tax bill. They con the victim into sending cash, usually through a prepaid debit card or wire transfer. They may also leave “urgent” callback requests through phone “robo-calls".

The IRS will never:

• Call to demand immediate payment, nor will the agency call about taxes owed without first having mailed you a bill.
  • Demand that you pay taxes without giving you the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe.
  • Require you to use a specific payment method for your taxes, such as a prepaid debit card.
  • Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
  • Threaten to bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have you arrested for not paying.

If you don’t owe taxes, or have no reason to think that you do:

• Do not give out any information. Hang up immediately.
  • Contact TIGTA to report the call. Use their “IRS Impersonation Scam Reporting” webpage. You can also call(###) ###-####
  • Report it to the Federal Trade Commission. Use the “FTC Complaint Assistant” on FTC.gov. Please add "IRS Telephone Scam" in the notes.

I cannot check on any case number ***** the real case numbers are not public.

Call the IRS at(###) ###-#### IRS workers can help you.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4