Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Pearl. Thank you for taking my question. My ex-husband and I…

Customer Question
Hello, Pearl. Thank...

Hello, Pearl. Thank you for taking my question. My ex-husband and I alternate on our daughter's dependency. However, I pay (mandated) for her tuition for private school (to the amount of about $12,000/annum. How can I take that tuition into account on my taxes though I am not claiming my daughter this year?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Besides the above maybe just that I am mandated by a court ordered agreement to pay for my daughter's education.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
12/19/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 6 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Unfortunately, there are rules for each education credit or deduction and the main one is that the eligible student must be yourself, your spouse or a dependent you list on your tax return.

In the years you do not claim your child as a dependent you cannot claim the education costs.

I sincerely ***** ***** could tell you differently.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.