Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have an installment agreement with IRS for monthly

payments. I paid 8 days...
I have an installment agreement with IRS for monthly payments. I paid 8 days late on this months payment. Can they cansel the agreement??
12/18/2017
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good evening. Although they could, they won't. You may get an automated letter informing you that the late payment caused a termination, but should that happen, you can simply call them up, explain that you paid a few days late, and the installment agreement will be reinstated for you. Only if you continually default on an installment agreement do problems arise, but in general, as long as you show a good faith effort to make your payments, the IRS is willing to allow a reinstatement. Having said the foregoing, given that you were only 8 days late, it's not likely you will even get such a letter of termination.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Tax Attorney

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Richard, Tax Attorney