Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My only income is Social Security. Do I have to file? My…

Customer Question
My only income is...

My only income is Social Security. Do I have to file?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My income is $16, something minus my Medicare payments. Do I still have to file as I don't have anything to pay?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/18/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 8 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Happy Holidays!! Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you.

Hi. Do you have an answer for me

In brief, the answer is no, you do not have to file. However, if federal taxes are being withheld, you may want to file so that you can get a refund of the tax amount being withheld.

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Thanks, ***** ***** out. Just wanted to know if I had to file.

Then no, you are not required to file a return. When social security is the only income rec'd, it is not considered taxable income and does not require a tax return be filed.