Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I created an LLC in 2014 with a friend. We elected to treat…

Customer Question
I created an LLC...

I created an LLC in 2014 with a friend. We elected to treat the llc as Schedule C income. We did not produce any income so we each had a small loss to report. We did not file a form 1065. Are we subject to a penalty for failure to file a 1065?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
12/18/2017
Tax Professional: Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 4 months ago
Fred Rook
Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you. If there are more than 2 members, then you have to file a 1065, unless there is no business activity. It sounds like you had minimal expenses relating to the business. I had a similar scenario with another client, where we advised them if the expenses are minimal, then keep the expenses on the schedule C this year, taking the position that the LLC iteslf had no activity. Going forward, I would form the LLC, especially if you anticipate ramped-up activity. Please let me know if you have any additional questions for me. Thanks!

Fred Rook
Fred Rook