Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have paid my property tax for 2017. I have received

Customer Question
I have paid my...

I have paid my property tax for 2017. I have received billing for 2018. If I pay now, will I be able to deduct that amount when I file my 2017 tax return ? Richard Gratton

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I need guidance for the above

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
12/18/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 4 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Right now, the language in the tax reform bill does not allow prepayments of income (state and local) tax in 2017 for 2018, but allows prepayment of 2018 property taxes to include on your 2017 tax return.

Since the bill has not yet been finalized, it would be wise to wait until the language is finalized, which is supposed to be before Christmas.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent