Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My son is divorced and the divorce agreement allows him to…

Customer Question
My son is divorced and...
My son is divorced and the divorce agreement allows him to claim 1 of his 3 daughters as a dependent for tax purposes. His ex-wife now claims that because of this he has to provide health insurance for her. Is that correct. This is in the state of Alabama.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
12/17/2017
Tax Professional: Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 months ago
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and tax attorney and I can help you with this.

There is no requirement that you must provide health insurance to a dependent if you claim that person as a dependent on your tax return. A tax dependent is considered in your household though when calculating subsidies on the health insurance market place. He may be required to pay the individual mandate penalty however for not providing health insurance for his tax dependent.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Tax Professional: Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 month ago

Hey! I just wanted to follow up and see if you have any other questions. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Carter McBride
Carter McBride