Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My husband passed nov 2016 and i am getting benifits from…

Customer Question
My husband passed nov...

My husband passed nov 2016 and i am getting benifits from him . my question is I work a job that has non taxable income will this be taken out of ssi both the servival and incom

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

If I am working a none taxable job when i file do they tax it

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

And if so the survivors benefit would be taxed income from job will be approximant 19555. \

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
12/15/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice to clients on three continents since 1986.

If you’ll please bear with me for a minute I’ll type up my initial response, and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this.

Can you tell me a little more about what you mean by "a job that has non taxable income?"

Are you saying that they don't pay INTO Social Security (FICA) such as with a state teachers job?

My job is non tax deductible so I don't know if I pay taxes on it or if when I do do I get taxed. Then services benifets do I get taxed for that

I'm so sorry ... are you saying your employer doesn't get to use your pay as an expense (hence, a tax deduction) for the company? (That would be very strange UNLESS this is a non-profit).

....

If this IS a non-profit, you WILL be taxed (you'll get a w-2 in January ... or a 1099 if they're treating you as a contractor)

...

This would be the same whether your EMPLOYER is a non-profit or not

like state teacher

Thanks - For INCOME tax purposes, it's taxable (as you likely know).

...

But for Social Security and Medicare it's not.

...

Which MEANS that your Social Security Survivor benefit will be reduced, but only AFTER you start receiving the teachers pension.

...

Spousal and Survivor benefits are affected by something called GPO (Government Pension Offset)

...

Once you start receiving your state teachers pension, Social Security will reduce the survivor benefit by 2/3 of your government pension.

..

For example, If you receive 1200 per month as a survivor benefit from Social Security, and then start to receive a government pension of, say, $600 ... then they will reduce your Social Security Survivor's benefit by 400, taking your Social Security benefit down to $800.

...

But in that example you WILL still be receiving the total 800 + 600 = 1400 per month

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" (you may have to scroll up to see them OR look to one side or the other if you’re on a device, such as a phone or tablet – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

I hope you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness (as opposed to any good news/bad news content). Thank you!

..

But again, if you need more on this, or if I've not understood your question correctly, please let me know.

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS