Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

State of Louisiana Workforce Commission has sent a

Customer Question
State of Louisiana Workforce...

State of Louisiana Workforce Commission has sent a collection letter claiming an underpayment of taxes for last quarter 2006, on a company which I owned, filed proper employment taxes, paid the taxes then closed the company. What is the Louisiana statute of limitations on tax collection when everything has been properly performed by the tax payer

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

As I believed the taxes to be properly filed and closed, I adhered to the requirements to maintain tax records for three years then destroyed the records. Whilst my personal address was changed from South Dakota to Wyoming, I made absolutely certain to file proper change of address cards for the business, to the point where the IRS knew of my business' new address. I can attest that I have not now nor have ever seen any previous collections letters from the State of Louisiana until this letter arrived the past week

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
12/15/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 7 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you owe back state taxes, Louisiana has three years to come after you under the statute of limitations for tax debt. The three-year period begins to run either from the date you file your state tax return or three years from the date the return was due, whichever is later. If your gross income was understated by more than 25 percent on your return, this period is extended to six years. If a false or fraudulent return is filed, there is no time limit on how long the state can pursue you. There also is no time limit if you updated your federal tax return, but didn't report the changes on your state return.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.